Monday, May 7, 2007

ENTRY 1

Instructions, pffft. "Start Here", the box says, pffft. I had Legos when I was a kid. "This is gonna be a breeze", I say. "Who needs a tutorial?", I ask myself.

Pffffft.....

Well apparently I do.

True, I'd had almost no experience with Technic construction methods(I had a couple of bionicles), I thought it would be easy enough to basically, just fall into. Well, now I can tell that it's going to take some "getting-used-to". Learning the sizes and dimensions of all the different pieces, well enough to be to efficiently build something without tons of trial and error.

As I learned on my first day, you can't just start throwing pieces together and hope for the best. You need at least a "rough-draft" in your mind, on paper, or some other medium, of what you're trying to accomplish before you start. I learned this after my first original building attempt, which I just ended up scrapping less than 1/2 way through construction.

Still trying to create something original, without any preconceived notion of what I was doing, my second attempt wasn't much better.

Enter, CrapBot...

CrapBot was a horror of engineering. Initial design was "amended" as construction continued. By the time all was said and done, the support structure was a "give-and-take" between stability, and the retention of its ability to clear the ground. Pieces were layered in arbitrary places, sometimes providing almost no added support.

I need more experience understanding gear ratios, and proper placement. I've decided to go back and start from the beginning.


-Quote of the Post-
What we do for ourselves, dies with us.
What we do for others, and the world, remains eternal...
- Albert Pike



No comments: